[Bioperl-l] protal2dna and Bio::SimpleAlign

Jason Stajich jason.stajich at duke.edu
Mon Jan 24 10:41:44 EST 2005

On Jan 24, 2005, at 10:28 AM, Catherine Letondal wrote:

> On Jan 23, 2005, at 3:19 PM, Jason Stajich wrote:
>
>> I'm not familiar with the script.
>
> Web:
> http://bioweb.pasteur.fr/seqanal/interfaces/protal2dna.html
> Man:
> http://bioweb.pasteur.fr/docs/man/man/protal2dna.1.html
> Ftp:
> ftp://ftp.pasteur.fr/pub/GenSoft/unix/alignment/protal2dna
>

>> Bio::Align::Utilities does protein to DNA mapping for an alignment
>> with the aa_to_dna_aln function.
>
> The problem with this function aa_to_dna_aln is that  is restricted to
> frame 1 and to the standard genetic code, right?
>        aa_to_dna_aln

This is an alignment mapper routine not an alignment routine itsself.
So I think I was just being stupid and not looking at what protal2dna
really was doing.

You provide it the protein multiple sequence alignment alignment and
the coding sequence which gave rise to it.  It maps the gaps back in so
you have a CDS alignment.  Very basic iterating through the alignment.

So it has to all be in-frame and already spliced, it should have been
called aa_to_cds_aln.

The method is intended for getting ready to do Ka/Ks type stuff so that
you have aligned  the sequences on codon boundaries and with knowledge
about conservative aa replacements.

apologies for inciting confusion...
-j