[Bioperl-l] protal2dna and Bio::SimpleAlign

Catherine Letondal letondal at pasteur.fr
Mon Jan 24 10:28:27 EST 2005

On Jan 23, 2005, at 3:19 PM, Jason Stajich wrote:

> I'm not familiar with the script.

Web:
http://bioweb.pasteur.fr/seqanal/interfaces/protal2dna.html
Man:
http://bioweb.pasteur.fr/docs/man/man/protal2dna.1.html
Ftp:
ftp://ftp.pasteur.fr/pub/GenSoft/unix/alignment/protal2dna

> Bio::Align::Utilities does protein to DNA mapping for an alignment
> with the aa_to_dna_aln function.

The problem with this function aa_to_dna_aln is that  is restricted to
frame 1 and to the standard genetic code, right?
        aa_to_dna_aln

         Title   : aa_to_dna_aln
         Usage   : my $dnaaln = aa_to_dna_aln($aa_aln, \%seqs);
         Function: Will convert an AA alignment to DNA space given the
                   corresponding DNA sequences.  Note that this method
expects
                   the DNA sequences to be in frame +1 (GFF frame 0) as
it will
                   start to project into coordinates starting at the
first base of
                   the DNA sequence, if this alignment represents a
different
                   frame for the cDNA you will need to edit the DNA
sequences
                   to remove the 1st or 2nd bases (and revcom if things
should be).
         Returns : Bio::Align::AlignI object
         Args    : 2 arguments, the alignment and a hashref.
                   Alignment is a Bio::Align::AlignI of amino acid
sequences.
                   The hash reference should have keys which are
                   the display_ids for the aa
                   sequences in the alignment and the values are a
                   Bio::PrimarySeqI object for the corresponding
                   spliced cDNA sequence.

The other problem when using tools offering several genetic code (these
sequences need a bacterial genetic code), is that the start codon of
this code is not the right one. These sequences need: GTG=M (and not
V).