[Bioperl-l] Using a bioperl cvs checkout

Brian Osborne brian_osborne at cognia.com
Tue Jan 11 21:41:47 EST 2005

Barry,

By setting PERL5LIB to some directory you're telling Perl to search that
directory first when searching for the module or modules in question. So
yes, Perl will have at least 2 directories in its @INC variable but it will
use the modules it finds first, in PERL5LIB, and ignore the rest. This is
analogous to how the OS treats the PATH variable. I commend you on your
clever setup, you have the best of both worlds this way.

Brian O.

105 ~>perl -e 'print @INC'
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.2/cygwin-thread-multi-64int/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.2/usr/lib/p
erl5
/site_perl/5.8.2/cygwin-thread-multi-64int/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.2/usr
/lib
/perl5/site_perl

106 ~>setenv PERL5LIB /fake

107 ~>perl -e 'print @INC'
/fake/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.2/cygwin-thread-multi-64int/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.2/usr/