[Bioperl-l] Bioperl version string not picked up by MakeMaker

lstein at cshl.edu lstein at cshl.edu
Mon Aug 8 15:02:09 EDT 2005

Hi,

Sadly, the Bio::Root::Version system does not play nicely with
MakeMaker. I have a WriteMakefile() routine in the gbrowse Makefile.PL
which looks like this:

WriteMakefile(
	      'NAME'	     => 'Generic-Genome-Browser',
	      'VERSION'      => $VERSION,
	      'PREREQ_PM'    => {
				 Bio::Perl         => 1.5,
				 GD                => 2.07,
				 IO::String        => 0,
				 Text::Shellwords  => 1.0,
				}, # e.g., Module::Name => 1.1
		...);

But when I run perl Makefile.PL I get:

   Warning: prerequisite Bio::Perl 1.5 not found. We have unknown
            version.

I have added a "use Bio::Root::Version '$VERSION'" to Bio/Perl.pm and
this seems to fix the problem, but someone who understands MakeMaker
better had better confirm that this is the right solution.

Lincoln

--
Lincoln D. Stein
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory