[Bioperl-l] graphing trees

Guillaume Rousse rousse at ccr.jussieu.fr
Fri Nov 5 07:53:35 EST 2004

Jason Stajich wrote:

> On Nov 3, 2004, at 8:39 AM, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> I have large trees to graph, the same way as phylogenetic trees are
>> usually drawn, with edges length expressing distances between nodes.
>>
> Bio::TreeIO::svggraph generates SVG.
Seems the most interesting right now.

Actually, I currently build my tree by first computing a distance matrix
from my raw data, passing it to the Algorithm-Cluster module, and
building nodes from its ouput. So the most logical way would be to
implement a new Bio::TreeIO::cluster module, constructing a Bio::Tree
object from this output, and using Bio::TreeIO::svggraph to output my
graph. Would such piece of code eventually interest bioperl maintainers ?

Alternatively, if there was a way to construct the nodes list from the
matrix distance directly in BioPerl, so as to bypass Algorithm-Cluster,
I could also get interested. I am just effraid that with a 3000 x 3000
matrix, a pure-perl implementation of the clustering could have perfs
issues.