[Bioperl-l] Problem with clustering analysis of a large dataset ( 18000 rows and 17 columns)

Gong Wuming gongwuming at hotmail.com
Fri May 21 01:37:02 EDT 2004

Hi list:
I use hierarchical clustering algorithm (average linkage algorithm) to do a

clustering analysis of a large dataset (around 18000 rows and 17 columns)
by
perl Algorithm::Cluster module. My computer is Pentium 4 2.4G with 512M
memory. However, the computation lasted about 36 hours and still do not
complete yet. After the burst usage of CPU and memory at the begining of
the
analysis (less than half an hour), the CPU usage keeps at 0.1% and the
memory
usage around 80%. (The analysis could complete in a few minutes while the
dataset is 10000 X 20).
Is this case normal and how long could the computation be accomplished?

Sincerely

Wuming Gong
College of Life Science, Wuhan University, China