maxstrengthmail confirmation [Re: [Bioperl-l] get cds from genbank record]

D. Joe Anderson deejoe at iastate.edu
Wed Mar 31 12:05:43 EST 2004

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 11:25:34PM +0000, Heikki Lehvaslaiho wrote:
> Andreas, Pedro and others,
>
> Here is what Chris had to say:
> """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
snip
> """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
>
> Please keep reporting these annoyances. If they get too common, we'll have to
> unsubscribe any members who use such systems.

I just got a maxstrength challenge message.

If there is a ready way for list admins to find out which subscribed
addresses generate these challenges and then to unsubscribe those addresses,
as a matter of policy, I'd highly recommend that.

Challenge-response is an flawed approach. It often leads to the obnoxious
result of the challenge-response system dragging an innocent third party
into their clients' spam- and virus-related woes, which compounds the
problems triggered by spam and email-generating viruses.

IMO the use of such shoddy approaches shouldn't be tolerated in the commons:

 Challenge-Response Anti-Spam Systems Considered Harmful
 http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Rants/challenge-response.html

--Joe