[Bioperl-l] Fetching Fasta seqs from GenBank - Help request

Barry Moore barry.moore at genetics.utah.edu
Thu Mar 25 12:43:21 EST 2004

Alberto-

You said, "the 'get_Stream_by_id' is returning me more than the
'sequence per se'".  I'm not sure if this is what your asking, but I'll
take a shot.  Since your are retrieving your two sequences in EMBL
format, you get all the associated information that you would see if you
downloaded that same file from the web interface.  Your sequences are
stored by BioPerl as RichSeq objects which inherits a PrimarySeq
objects.  So that EMBL file data is stored in the RichSeq object and the
associated PrimarySeq object it inherited.   Of course when you save
that locally as a fasta file, that extra information is lost.  If you
decide you need to use that data have a look at the documentation for
Bio::Seq::RichSeq and Bio::PrimarySeq and the SeqIO and Feature
Annotation HOW TOs to learn more.

Barry

Barry Moore
Dept. of Human Genetics