[Bioperl-l] Partial BioPerl installations

Heikki Lehvaslaiho heikki at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Mar 2 11:11:26 EST 2004

John,

This s something that have been discussed but no definite action has been
taken. Bioperl core is still one monolithic package. However, if you really
are tight with space there are some things you can do.

I am assuming you are using anonymous CVS access and setting PERL5LIB to point
your perl to the bioperl modules. The whole bioperl core takes ~25M.

1. Remove everything else that CVS and Bio subdirectories. This takes the disk
space down to 12M. Run 'cvs update' within the Bio directory and you can keep
up to date.  If you need to run tests, examples or read documentation, you
can do 'cvs update' in the main directory.

2. If all you need is the basic sequence manipulation classes, you can,
possibly, remove a number of subdirectories under Bio. For example, if you do
not directly need  these, could try removing them:

CodonUsage
Coordinate
Das
Graphics
LiveSeq
Map
MapIO
Matrix
Ontology
Phenotype
PopGen
Tree
TreeIO
Variation

Note that I am only guessing here. If you try removing these, keep a log and
be prepared to restore modules from cvs. If you really try this, please
report back to the list. We'd be interested in knowing if and what works.

Yours,

	-Heikki