[Bioperl-l] bioperl installation

Xiang Deng xiang.deng at duke.edu
Thu Jul 22 16:09:44 EDT 2004

Jason,

Thanks for trying that for me.

I already downloaded and installed Inline-0.44 under directory
"my_bioperl/bioperl-ext-1.4" and staden library io_lib-1.8.12 under
directory "my_bioperl/".
but I still have following errors when installing bioperl-ext-1.4

mendel 297% perl Makefile.PL
LIB=/v0/users/deng0007/my_bioperl/bioperl-ext-1.4
Writing Makefile for Bio::Ext::Align
Warning: prerequisite Bio::SeqIO::abi 0 not found.
Please tell us where your Staden io_lib "read" library is installed:
[/usr/local/lib] [/v0/users/deng0007/my_bioperl]
Please tell us where your Staden io_lib "Read.h" header is installed:
[[/v0/users/deng0007/my_bioperl]/io_lib] [/v0/users/deng0007/my_bioperl]
Writing Makefile for Bio::SeqIO::staden::read
Writing Makefile for Bio
mendel 298% make

        DEFINE='-DPOSIX -DNOERROR'; CC='cc -n32'; export DEFINE INC CC; \
        cd libs && make CC=cc -n32 libsw.a -e
Usage: make [-f makefile] [-p] [-i] [-k] [-s] [-r] [-n] [-u]
        [-d] [-D] [-S] [-g] [-w] [-P] [-B] [-b] [-O] [-e] [-t] [-q] [-M]
[-N] [names]
*** Error code 1 (bu21)
*** Error code 1 (bu21)

Do you know what is the problem here? I just followed the install
instruction, do I miss any parameters there?

thanks,

Xiang

Department of Pharmacology and Cancer Biology
Duke University Medical Center
Durham, NC 27710
Phone: 919-4792339

Jason Stajich <jason at cgt.duhs.duke.edu>
07/22/2004 02:38 PM

Xiang Deng <xiang.deng at duke.edu>
cc
Bioperl <bioperl-l at bioperl.org>
Subject
RE: [Bioperl-l] bioperl installation

Someone has already setup CPAN on the machine - you need to coordinate
with the sysadmin or else download the modules by hand and do the install
manualy.

for each module (Inline::C, et)
% perl Makefile.PL LIB=~/lib/perl
% make
% make install

I have logged into mendel and had the same problems, but I don't have time
to figure out the best workaround for you other than downloading the
modules by hand for now or else getting the admin to install these for
you.

 -jason

 On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Xiang Deng wrote:

> Brian,
>
> I tried that, but I could not enter CPAN shell,
>
> mendel 215% perl -e shell -MCPAN
>

> Your configuration suggests that CPAN.pm should use a working
> directory of
>     /.cpan
> Unfortunately we could not create the lock file
>     /.cpan/.lock
> due to permission problems.
>
> Please make sure that the configuration variable
>     $CPAN::Config->{cpan_home}
> points to a directory where you can write a .lock file. You can set
> this variable in either
>     /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1/CPAN/Config.pm
> or
>     /v0/users/deng0007/.cpan/CPAN/MyConfig.pm
>
> Could not open >/.cpan/.lock: Permission denied
>
> Do I need to create all of those ".cpan/CPAN/MyConfig.pm"? I do not even
> have the .cpan directory.
>
> thanks
>
> Xiang
>
> Department of Pharmacology and Cancer Biology
> Duke University Medical Center
> Durham, NC 27710
> Phone: 919-4792339
>

> "Brian Osborne" <brian_osborne at cognia.com>
> Sent by: bioperl-l-bounces at portal.open-bio.org
> 07/22/2004 12:01 PM

> "Xiang Deng" <xiang.deng at duke.edu>, "Jason Stajich"
> <jason at cgt.duhs.duke.edu>
> cc
> bioperl-l-bounces at portal.open-bio.org, bioperl-l at bioperl.org
> Subject
> RE: [Bioperl-l] bioperl installation
>

> Xiang,
>
> The section in the on-line instruction, the INSTALL page, talking about
> installing in a personal area using CPAN is called "INSTALLING BIOPERL
IN
> PERSONAL MODULE AREA":
>
> You can also use CPAN to install accessory modules in your
> local directory. First enter the CPAN shell, then set the
> arguments for the command "perl Makefile.PL", like this:
>
> >perl -e shell -MCPAN
> cpan>o conf makepl_arg LIB=/home/users/dag/My_Local_Perl_Modules
>

> Brian O.

/v0/users/deng0007/my_bioperl/bioperl-ext-1.4/Bio/SeqIO/staden/Makefile.PL: