[Bioperl-l] bioperl installation

Xiang Deng xiang.deng at duke.edu
Thu Jul 22 14:32:05 EDT 2004

Brian,

I tried that, but I could not enter CPAN shell,

mendel 215% perl -e shell -MCPAN

Your configuration suggests that CPAN.pm should use a working
directory of
    /.cpan
Unfortunately we could not create the lock file
    /.cpan/.lock
due to permission problems.

Please make sure that the configuration variable
    $CPAN::Config->{cpan_home}
points to a directory where you can write a .lock file. You can set
this variable in either
    /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1/CPAN/Config.pm
or
    /v0/users/deng0007/.cpan/CPAN/MyConfig.pm

Could not open >/.cpan/.lock: Permission denied

Do I need to create all of those ".cpan/CPAN/MyConfig.pm"? I do not even
have the .cpan directory.

thanks

Xiang

Department of Pharmacology and Cancer Biology
Duke University Medical Center
Durham, NC 27710
Phone: 919-4792339

"Brian Osborne" <brian_osborne at cognia.com>
Sent by: bioperl-l-bounces at portal.open-bio.org
07/22/2004 12:01 PM

"Xiang Deng" <xiang.deng at duke.edu>, "Jason Stajich"
<jason at cgt.duhs.duke.edu>
cc
bioperl-l-bounces at portal.open-bio.org, bioperl-l at bioperl.org
Subject
RE: [Bioperl-l] bioperl installation

Xiang,

The section in the on-line instruction, the INSTALL page, talking about
installing in a personal area using CPAN is called "INSTALLING BIOPERL IN
PERSONAL MODULE AREA":

You can also use CPAN to install accessory modules in your
local directory. First enter the CPAN shell, then set the
arguments for the command "perl Makefile.PL", like this:

>perl -e shell -MCPAN
cpan>o conf makepl_arg LIB=/home/users/dag/My_Local_Perl_Modules

Brian O.