[Bioperl-l] Application using Bioperl

Barry Moore barry.moore at genetics.utah.edu
Wed Jan 28 19:24:44 EST 2004

Annie-

You could keep everything on Linux by using OpenOffice Calc
<http://www.openoffice.org/product/calc.html> (or others) as a
replacement for Excel.  You can probably recreate most of the
functionality of Excel's formulas etc. with perl if Calc doesn't do what
you need, and just use Calc as a way to interface with your end user.
Of course you lose the familiar interface of Excel for your end user if
that is what they are used to.

You could keep everything on Windows.  Most of perl, MySQL and much of
Bioperl will operate quite happily on recent versions of Windows.  VB is
able to interface with MySQL directly http://www.vbmysql.com/, and of
course MS has it's own set of database applications that would link
seamlessly with Excel (at a cost of course).

Regardless of where your database is, if you plan to use perl as an
interface with Excel search CPAN for Excel
(http://search.cpan.org/search?query=Excel&mode=all)
<http://search.cpan.org/search?query=Excel&mode=all> and you'll come up
with quite a lot of modules related to Excel.  In particular for the
things you mentioned you might look at  DBD::Excel
<http://search.cpan.org/author/KWITKNR/DBD-Excel-0.06/Excel.pm>,
Spreadsheet::WriteExcel
<http://search.cpan.org/author/JMCNAMARA/Spreadsheet-WriteExcel-0.42/WriteExcel.pm>,
SQL::Translator::Parser::Excel