[Bioperl-l] Re: Fwd: nucleic acid melting temperature

Barry Moore barry.moore at genetics.utah.edu
Tue Feb 24 13:21:39 EST 2004

Nicolas,

There is a module (primer.pm) that will allow you to generate a primer
object.  This object has a Tm method to return the melting temperature
of that primer.  About a week ago that method was updated to use the
nearest-neighbor thermodynamic approach to calculating Tm, and there has
been a discussion going on since then about that.  Your program exceeds
the capabilities of that method in a variety of ways.  The current
method calculates the enthalpy and entropy for all dinucleotide pairs,
and adjusts those for duplex initiation.  It calculates Tm based on
those values, the oligo concentration and salt concentration as per
Allawi et. al Biochemistry 1997 36:10581-10594 (however the salt
adjustment was taken from http://biotools.idtdna.com/analyzer/).  The
primer.pm module containing that code can be found at:
http://cvs.bioperl.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/viewcvs.cgi/bioperl-live/Bio/SeqFeature/Primer.pm?cvsroot=bioperl.
I believe that Rob Edwards is the current maintainer of that module.
What the current method does not do that your program does is account
for the possibility of mismatches and dangling ends.  I think the
current primer object would need some redesigning to allow for those.
You may also be using a more accurate adjustments for salt concentration.

Your Melting program looks like it would be a great addition to
bioperl.  I'm farily new to bioperl, and don't know the overall object
structure well enough yet to comment from a developers point of view,
but I wonder if your algorithm would be better placed somewhere with a
boarder scope than as a method of the SeqFeature::Primer object, perhaps
as a method available to all sequence objects.  I beleive Rob made a
similar comment in his original documentation of the Tm method.  Perhaps
some of the seasoned Bioperl developers can discuss where a module with
the capabilities of Melting should live.  Also as a new user, I would
suggest that porting Melting to perl and integrating it into Bioperl is
preferable to simply writing a wrapper (from the users point of view,
not the developers of course).  To casual and new users of Bioperl, long
lists of dependencies can be very daunting.

Barry Moore

--
Barry Moore
Dept. of Human Genetics