[Bioperl-l] Tm calculation

Sebastian Bassi sbassi at asalup.org
Thu Feb 19 21:25:14 EST 2004

Hello,

I suscribed to this list because I was told there is a thread about Tm.
I did a Tm function for Biopython, based on the EMBOSS DAN. The good
thing is that it performed exactly as DAN. The problem was that DAN
formulae was dated (it was previous to Santalucia work).

I have some questions:
-Regarding "#$entropy -= 1.4; #Should only be applied to
self-complimentary oligos, so add code to test self complimentarity
before applying this line to Tm calculations "
How do you define self complementary oligos?
Is this a self complementary oligo: AAACCCTAGGGTTT? What about this:
AAACCCTCAGGGTTT?
-Does the proposed version test for overriding pairs? I mean, take this
sequence: ACCCGTGAGCTG. How many CC pairs that the program detects? The
right anwser should be 2. But if you are using a standard string find
function, it may overlook the overrriding CC and detect only one. I had
this problem in one of my atemps. So I had to made my own find string
function (somebody from biopython mailing list coded this function at my
request, so I didn't actually wrote it).

I'm asking this instead of looking at the code because I don't know
enought Perl (that's why I work on Python :)

Sorry for my English, it is not my native languaje!

--
Best regards,

//=\ Sebastian Bassi - Diplomado en Ciencia y Tecnologia, UNQ   //=\
\=// IT Manager Advanta Seeds - Balcarce Research Center -      \=//
//=\ Pro secretario ASALUP - www.asalup.org - PGP key available //=\
\=// E-mail: sbassi at genesdigitales.com - ICQ UIN: 3356556 -     \=//

                 http://Bioinformatica.info