[Bioperl-l] Parsing blast hits

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Thu Feb 5 10:02:49 EST 2004

As many posts here, I am new to bioperl.  I have a list of several thousand
queries (microarray oligos) and the resulting blast hits to mRNAs.  I would
like to determine which of the hits for each query are to the same "gene";
in other words, I want to find query sequences with mappings to only one
gene.  I am familiar with blasting and the technicalities of the blast
parsers, but I can't think how to tackle the bigger problem.  Do I need to
query the resulting hits and store the genes that they encode for each hit
and just make sure they are the same, or is there something more clever?
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Sean