[Bioperl-l] Re: [BioSQL-l] tigr.pm

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gnf.org
Fri Dec 10 12:34:54 EST 2004

Strand is NOT NULLable in all three (MySQL, Pg, Oracle) versions of the
schema.

This constraint could be relaxed, as Strand is not part of any unique
key constraint.

OTOH the designated value for an unknown strand is 0 in bioperl, not
NULL or undef.

Furthermore, the schema defines 0 as the default value for the Strand
column. Unfortunately, this doesn't help if the column is explicitly
inserted as NULL.

I could add a fix to the LocationAdapter to default a null strand to 0.

Any opinions? I'm leaning towards adding a fix to LocationAdapter to
fix this problem immediately and forever.

	-hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org