[Bioperl-l] RNA fold

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Mon Aug 2 11:38:12 EDT 2004

At 09:29 PM 8/1/2004, you wrote:
>On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 10:42:15AM -0500, Chris Fields wrote:
> > >The licensing for mfold is restrictive in that it cannot be
> > >re-distributed freely.
> >
> > Somewhat true.  Basically, you need to agree to a license when using
> > the software (like most software, even freeware).
>
>  AFAIK, you actually don't need to agree to a license to use Free software
>(e.g. GPL or BSD license).  I think the way it works is this: If you don't
>accept the license, then you have your default rights under copyright law.
>Free software, doesn't make you agree to a license to download or install
>it, just like other copyrighted works, like web pages.  You can read the web
>page, or run the program, without having to agree to anything.
>
>  If you want to do something that you can't do by default under copyright
>law, such as modify or redistribute the work, you need a license.  You get
>to do what the license says you can, as long as you agree to its terms.

Ah, now I see.  Below is the wording from the web page I mentioned
previously (http://www.bioinfo.rpi.edu/~zukerm/rna/mfold-3.1.html):

Versions 3.xxx of mfold for Unix and Linux operating systems are available
via a free license for academic and nonprofit use only; commercial use is
available for a fee. Copyright © is held by Washington University.
Washington University seeks additional licensees for commercial development
and marketing and invites all interested parties to submit proposals.
Please direct all requests for licensing, information, and limited
evaluation copies to Washington University's Office of Technology
Management by E-mail ...

<snipped to remove emails and links>

I suppose the license is there to allow academics and non-profits to use
the software, but the copyright is present to prevent dissemination and
have commercial users pay a fee, especially if the code is included in
proprietary software.

Oh well, a bit off-topic now.  Anyone else want to chip in on the original
question?

>#define X(x,y) x##y
>Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter at cor , des.ca)

Chris Fields - Postdoctoral Researcher
Lab of Dr. Robert Switzer

Address:

Dept. of Biochemistry - 323 RAL