[Bioperl-l] Problems with installing bioperl using PPM3

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 14 13:08:41 EDT 2004

At 09:26 PM 4/14/2004, Brian Osborne wrote:
>Omid,
>
> >Another question I had was can we use the CPAN module to download and
>install packages
> >under a windows environment or are we restricted to using PPM from
>activestate?
>
>Yes, you can. Lincoln has made this point a couple of times when people
>expressed their frustrations with the ActiveState approach. In the Command
>Prompt, for example, you should be able to do:
>
> >perl -e shell -MCPAN
>
>And then things like:
>
>cpan>install IO::String
>
>It's been some time since I last used ActiveState, I use Cygwin instead, so
>someone should correct me if this is no longer the case.
>

>Brian O.

I have tried this before and it works fine.  The only issues that I've seen
come up are test failures when installing some modules that have C code
included, upon which nmake crashes and the install fails.

The reason to use PPM can be summed up in one word: simplicity.  I think
that some Perl users, myself included, have learned Perl and other higher
level languages w/o experience in the intricacies of the programming
process that one learns from C or C++ in a basic computer programming
course (i.e. plan program -> type program -> build (compile and link
program) -> execute program).  That's fine but becomes a problem when
trying to install some modules w/o some background knowledge, such as how
to use 'nmake' or 'make' in a Windows environment.

I personally have a biochemistry and microbiology background and currently
work as a postdoctoral researcher on RNA-binding proteins.  I have since
learned C and C++ for various other reasons, one being that I have an avid
interest in programming.  Learning the basics has helped me tremendously in
picking out problems that I ran into before, such as how to compile a
program in a Linux or Windows environment, using the proper header files,
libraries, etc.  It also has helped in learning a bit more about how Perl
and how easy it is to use compared to C/C++.  The advantage of using PPM is
that it allows for easy installation and removal of packages w/o the need
for building modules, and it also creates nicely HTML-formatted help pages
from POD (something that pod2html can do as well).  The biggest
disadvantage with PPM is that it is somewhat like a using a calculator;
it's quick and easy, but it's a 'black box' in that most people don't know
how it works, but it does its job (sometimes).  I'm now able to get around
some of the problems of using PPM through a little detective work (reading
the man pages!!!, web searches, etc) and learning a bit more about the
programming process.

I think most problems with PPM arise b/c some modules refuse to compile
with Windows (for a list of the many failed builds from ActiveState
automated build process, see http://ppm.activestate.com/).  Randy Kobes has
many PPM modules not available from ActiveState that have been tweaked for
Windows, including GD (http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/), but many
distributions still have problems.  PDL is one distribution that comes to
mind, which is required for the Transcription Factor Binding Site modules.

My 2c

chris

Chris Fields - Postdoctoral Researcher
Lab of Dr. Robert Switzer