[Bioperl-l] matching miRNAs to one or a lot of mRNAs

Starr Hazard hazards at musc.edu
Fri Sep 26 14:29:57 EDT 2003

Folks,

In a recent paper, Kawasacki et al(pubmed 12808467) report on the
interaction between a specific miRNA (human miRNA23 g.i. 17646028) and a
specific mRNA (human HES1 g.i. 8400709). They suggest they did a BLAST
search and ultimately located the interaction. I cannot duplicate their
data mining and cannot find the association they describe.

In general, is there a way to take a library of miRNAs and evaluate their
potential interaction with a particular mRNA? Or is there a data mining
tool that could screen a large pool of mRNAs for
significant interactions with a pool miRNAs?

I cannot at present see any BioPerl tools that address this issue (right
now that means I scanned the FAQ for the string RNA and searched the
BioPerl site for RNA but found only some traffic about Seq.pm).The people I
have asked seem divided about whether this is
text matching issue or more of a hybridization issue involving
an energy of interaction evaluation.

Anybody got any pointers to offer?

Starr