[Bioperl-l] Re: [apollo] Guidance for a newbie

Lincoln Stein lstein at cshl.edu
Sun Oct 5 12:44:40 EDT 2003

On Saturday 04 October 2003 03:28 pm, Andrew Nunberg wrote:
> I am trying to convert genbank records into a format that is readable
> by Appollo.
> I can achieve this with gff format but I would like to do some
> curation/annotation so I am now trying to create game xml.

Hi,

This is the same problem that I have.  The approach that I am taking is to
rewrite the GAME SequenceIO module in Bioperl so that it creates the correct
version of GAME (the version it currently creates is incompatible with
Bioperl).  Then what you want to do will be as easy as:

	$in = Bio::SeqIO->new(-file=>'genbank_file',-format=>'genbank');
	$out = Bio::SeqIO->new(-file=>'genbank_file.game',-format=>'GAME');
	while (my $seq = $in->next_seq) {
		$out->write_seq($seq);
	}

Because of many other obligations, this is moving very slowly and don't expect
much progress until things lighten up for me in November.  If you or anyone
else on these lists want to work on this, I will gladly share my notes and
what I've got so far.

Lincoln