[Bioperl-l] install 1.2.1 help newbie

Julian Dow j.a.t.dow at bio.gla.ac.uk
Mon Jun 23 22:07:21 EDT 2003

Dear bioperl

>General comments, suggestions and installation war stories should be sent
>to the project mail-list <mailto:bioperl-l at bioperl.org>bioperl-l.
OK, I'd appreciate help installing 1.2.1 into Activestate perl on Win XP.

On http://www.bioperl.org/Core/Latest/INSTALL.WIN

> [...]

>      rep down <name or num>     Moves the specified repository down one
>
>   Description
>     The *repository* (or *rep*) command controls two lists or repositories:
>
>     1   The list of "active" repositories. This is the list of repositories
>         used by *search*, *install*, *upgrade*, and *verify*.
>
>     2   The list of all known repositories. You can designate a repository
>         "inactive", which means PPM will not use it in any commands.
>
>     If no arguments are given, the rep command will list the active
>     repositories defined in the PPM settings. The order is significant: when
>     installing a package, PPM will try the first repository, then the
>     second, and so on, until it find the package you asked for. When
>     searching, PPM merges the results of all the repositories together, so
>     the order is less important (see the *search* command).
>
>     For example, when you enter:
>
>         rep
>
>     PPM3 will return something resembling this:
>
>         Repositories:
>         [1] ActiveCD
>         [2] ActiveState Package Repository
>         [ ] An inactive repository
>
>     In the example above, entering 'rep off 2' will disable the second
>     repository (the ActiveStat Package Repository). To add another
>     repository:
>
>         rep add [options] <NAME> <LOCATION>
>

>ppm> rep delete 1
>Repositories:
>[1] ActiveState PPM2 Repository
>[ ] ActiveState Package Repository
>ppm> repository add Bioperl http://bioperl.org/DIST
>Repositories:
>[1] ActiveState PPM2 Repository
>[2] Bioperl
>[ ] ActiveState Package Repository
>ppm> rep off 1
>Repositories:
>[1] Bioperl
>[ ] ActiveState Package Repository
>[ ] ActiveState PPM2 Repository
>ppm> search *
>Searching in Active Repositories
>   1. Bioperl-1.2       [1.2] Bioperl 1.2 PPM3 Archive
>   2. Bioperl-1.2.1   [1.2.1] Bioperl 1.2.1 PPM3 Archive
>   3. Text-Shellwords  [1.00] Text::Shellwords - Parse lines into tokens
> like t~
>ppm> install 2
>Package 2:
>Error: Failed to download URL http://bioperl.org/DIST/File-Temp.ppd:
>404 Not Found
>ppm> install 1
>Package 1:
>Error: Failed to download URL http://bioperl.org/DIST/File-Temp.ppd:
>404 Not Found
>ppm> rep
>Repositories:
>[1] Bioperl
>[ ] ActiveState Package Repository
>[ ] ActiveState PPM2 Repository
>ppm> search bioperl
>Searching in Active Repositories
>   1. Bioperl-1.2     [1.2] Bioperl 1.2 PPM3 Archive
>   2. Bioperl-1.2     [1.2] Bioperl 1.2 PPM3 Archive
>   3. Bioperl-1.2.1 [1.2.1] Bioperl 1.2.1 PPM3 Archive
>   4. Bioperl-1.2.1 [1.2.1] Bioperl 1.2.1 PPM3 Archive
Is the repository at fault, or me? :-)
Now I was trying to do this because I thought I had successfully installed
1.2.1, but when I tried 'use Bio::tools' it couldn't be found. True enough,
in Bioperl\tools\run I found the readme:

>  This directory is now mainly in bioperl-run package
>which you should install alongside Bioperl to get over
>50 different runnable options. We might decide to merge
>the two packages again, but the feeling is that bioperl
>"core" is getting a little too big.
>
>  Bioperl-run follows the same release tagging schedule
>as Bioperl. Pick it up from www.bioperl.org and/or CPAN

SO what I had been hoping to find at the bioperl archive was bioperl-run,
but that doesn't seem to be on the repository list. Am I looking in the
wrong place? I only wanted to find pest sequences...
regards, Julian Dow

Prof. Julian A.T. Dow         IBLS Division of Molecular Genetics,
           University of Glasgow, Glasgow G11 6NU, UK
Phone: +44 141 330 4616                      FAX: +44 141 330 4878
email: j.a.t.dow at bio.gla.ac.uk                 WWW: fly.to/tubules