[Bioperl-l] Bio::FeatureHolderI interface confusion

Ewan Birney birney at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Jun 17 23:56:34 EDT 2003

> Personally, I would much rather see the swarm of interfaces and objects
> stopped and rolled back.
>
> In fact, I can't really see why we can't make do with just Bio::SeqI and
> Bio::SeqFeatureI

Music to my ears Chris. I also believe this. However, nested features or
not vs nested location models or not is a somewhat more mulling question.
Also - when features nest, what is implied about their coordinate system
(I would argue nothing - coordinates are always on the Bio::SeqI =
Bio::SeqI is the coordinate system). would you agree with this or want the
coordinate system to nest?

I'm happy to extend Bio::SeqFeatureI to have a get_SeqFeatures() and/or
get_sub_SeqFeatures(), indicate that the coordinate system does not nest
and remove the other "helper" interfaces.

I have to admit, I am against complex trees of SeqFeatures "meaning"
something, and would prefer people to build their own specific objects
(eg, Bio::SeqFeature::GeneStructure) to represet specific features, but
here we probably diverge in views.

Lincoln, Paul, Aaron and Jason probably all have views here...