[Bioperl-l] Re: [Gmod-schema] Re: BioSQL or chado

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Thu Jul 31 12:46:30 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 10:29  AM, Allen Day wrote:

> It shouldn't be too hard to autogenerate the simple bridging where
> there
> is a one-to-one correspondence between chado tables (or chado star
> subschemas) and bioperl classes.

BTW this is exactly what bioperl-db does to a large extent where there
is such a straightforward correspondence. It only does it at runtime,
it doesn't generate classes you'd have to maintain.

	-hilmar

BTW in reality it turns out that there are really only very few classes
that map directly to tables without special case code. It's not a new
finding that relational and object models are different animals. People
tend to forget that. I'd be curious to learn how you can auto-generate
an at least minimally useful OR mapper from bioperl to any of chado,
biosql, or you name it.

Literally all of the generic OR mappers that I'm aware of either a)
assume you've got the schema and generate the object model and the
mapping off of it, or b) assume you've got the object model and
generate the schema and the mapping off of it, or c) require an
extensive amount of hard to debug (which is a euphemism here)
configuration files.

Here at GNF we've been going through exercise c) with J2EE CMP as
implemented by Jboss. We're not going to do it again. Auto-generating
the OR mapping either hand-cuffs one arm onto your back, or it's just
not worth the nightmare of staring at seemingly correct configuration
files.

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org