[Bioperl-l] trans-spliced genes & gff2 & chado

Lincoln Stein lstein at cshl.edu
Wed Jul 23 12:38:59 EDT 2003

I think this representation is going to break a lot of code that assumes, for
example, that all components of a + strand feature are on the same strand:

> gene
>   transcript-A
>     exon +
>     exon +
>     exon -
>     exon -
>     protein-A
>   transcript-B
>     exon +
>     exon +
>     protein-B

I like this one better:

> gene
>   ts-transcript-1
>     exon +
>     exon +
>   ts-transcript-2
>     exon -
>     exon -
>   transcript-A
>     ts-transcript-1
>     ts-transcript-2
>     protein-A
>   transcript-B
>     exon +
>     exon +
>     protein-B

This is pointing out a weakness in the current bioperl object model in which
we have combined the ideas of the parts of a compound object with the
containment hierarchy.   We'll bump into this again when we have to deal with
enhancers that are 10 kbp away from the gene they regulate and the question
of "where is the gene" has no simple answer.

Lincoln