[Bioperl-l] interface to Darwin?

Matthew Betts Matthew.Betts at ii.uib.no
Thu Jul 17 18:48:35 EDT 2003

Hi,

Does anyone know of a Perl interface to Darwin
(http://cbrg.inf.ethz.ch/Darwin/) from Gaston Gonnet's group? This would
be useful because Darwin has some handy functions for working with
sequences, particularly in an evolutionary context, but I think the
general scripting capabilities are much better in perl.

It's not just a question of parsing output from darwin programs - there's
interfacing with the scripting side to do too. It would be really good to
be able to pipe to and from a darwin session, but, from what I've read
about IPC::Open2 and IPC::Open3, that can be quite dangerous.

If there's nothing around already, I'd be really grateful for any advice
on the most relevant bioperl modules to look at as a guide on how to do
this.

Thanks,

Matthew

Matthew Betts, mailto:matthew.betts at ii.uib.no
Phone: (+47) 55 58 40 22
Computational Biology Unit, BCCS, Universitetet i Bergen
Thormo¸hlensgt. 55, N-5020 Bergen, Norway