[Bioperl-l] About handleing the UniGene database file

darson darson at ha.mc.ntu.edu.tw
Thu Jul 3 14:09:54 EDT 2003

Hi,
   I tried to grep the wanted info from a Hs.seq.all (Human unigene sequence
file in fasta form from NCBI ftp site, larger than
3 Gb) but failed. I wrote a script in Perl to use "open" function to handle
this file as FILEHANDLE for further bioperl processing.
However it response that "this file is too large to  open", something like
that. My problem is whether the 2Gb document
limitation still exist in Perl Ver. 5.6.1? Or the limitation is from Linux,
or more other reasons? My environment is Linux
RH 7.3, 1Gb ram. Any suggestions will be appreciated!  Thanks!