[Bioperl-l] Bio::Ontology overhaul

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gnf.org
Wed Feb 26 17:38:24 EST 2003

First off, I'm not in particular favor of creating two interface name
monsters that nobody else is used to from anywhere else. My viewpoint
is that you can solve the problem by having different methods
reflecting identifiers which are valid locally and those which are also
valid globally. We had a discussion about that 5 minutes before we left
off in Singapore. Lincoln's proposal hasn't been discussed on the list
yet, so it may or may not finally happen.

Second, we made a decision a while ago to separate interfaces from one
another wherever sensibly possible. In this case, OntologyI will not
inherit off of <whichever>IdentifiableI, but an implementation may do
so, and can then provide the alias if appropriate. (Similarly, SeqI
doesn't inherit from IdentifiableI, but Seq does implement both.)

So, bottom line, if an ontology wants to be <whichever>IdentifiableI,
my take is it will inherit from that interface and appropriately alias.

As for the TermI interface, it doesn't inherit from IdentifiableI
either, but in fact I forgot to mention that I changed the
Bio::Ontology::Term implementation to implement both Bio::IdentifiableI
and Bio::DescribableI. TermI::identifier() is not meant to be an
arbitrary identifier (as opposed to OntologyI::identifier); it will
usually be assigned by the authority of the ontology.

	-hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org