[Bioperl-l] Newbie Question about Bio::DB::GenBank

Joseph Urban urbanj2 at rpi.edu
Mon Feb 10 13:44:20 EST 2003

Hi:

I have installed BioPerl 1.2 on my linux machine, but I am having
problems retrieving data from GenBank.  I also installed the bundle.
During the installation of the bundle, I received a few warning about
not having the MD5 security  package installed.  Might this be the
source of my problem?

Here is the short code that I am trying to execute:

use Bio::Perl;
use Bio::DB::GenBank;

my ($seqID, $protID, $gb, $seq1, $seq2);

$seqID=$ARGV[0];
$protID=$ARGV[1];

$gb = new Bio::DB::GenBank();

$seq1 = $gb->get_Seq_by_id($seqID);

The last 2 lines were copied from the BioPerl tutorial.

The last line is the one that is the source of the error.
If this line is commented out, the program runs, which confuses me
because I still create a Bio::DB::GenBank object.

The error message is as follows:

Can't locate object method "get_Seq_by_id" via package
"Bio::DB::GenBank" (perhaps you forgot to load "Bio::DB::GenBank"?) at
./genseq.pl line 21.

I find the method get_Seq_by_id in the Bio:DB:GenBank man page...

Any input on how to resolve this issue is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Joe