[Bioperl-l] taxonomy and speices

Jason Stajich jason at cgt.duhs.duke.edu
Thu Aug 28 12:45:10 EDT 2003

Glad you are taking this on.  I think you can think about just dropping
Bio::Taxonomy::Tree and Bio::Taxonomy::Taxon if they don't provide
anything useful any more.  Dan has moved on AFAIK and I couldn't make them
work in a way that I think was useful, so I wrote Bio::Taxonomy::Node to
be an entity in the entire taxonomy with ability to move up or down
classification levels.

Here is how I envisioned this working.
 Bio::Species (or its successor) will be the collection of all the
information above a node in the Taxonomy hierarchy.  So as you have
described we can talk about sub species, etc.  This is what I think Dan
had in mind with Bio::Taxonomy::Taxon, meaning the tip nodes in the
Hierarchy.

I think it is fine to fix/replace any code in Bio::Taxonomy as I don't
think it has been used anywhere yet.

If you can think about how to keep using the Factory object for access to
the taxonomy so that underneath the factory can be locally indexed taxdmp
from NCBI as I have implemented, the limited HTTP access that NCBI
provides to this data, or a BioSQL system.    I would try and use the
taxon tables that Aaron setup in BioSQL - it was our intention all along
to provide this Factory with access to biosql, we just have not had time
to get it working.

Once this is integrated in, we can start to rely on using taxonid numbers
for lookups and query constraints more easily which I think will be a
big plus.

-jason