installing scripts (was:Re: [Bioperl-l] GFF scripts)

Koen van der Drift kvddrift at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 11 18:54:28 EDT 2003

On Monday, August 11, 2003, at 09:32  AM, Jason Stajich wrote:

> understand - this is more appropriate - you're welcome to have those
> patches be for the 1.2.2 release but keeping them in the fink pkg.  If
> we
> do another release on the 1.2 branch (1.2.3) we can try and get this
> right.  Glad you're doing this.

Glad I can help :)

There was an issue raised (by a well-known perl writer) on the
fink-mailinglist about using the .pl extension for the scripts. Here's
an exerpt:

<quote>
If they are meant as commands typed by the user, PLEASE PLEASE do not
put ".pl" on the send of the script!  This is not the Unix Way.

".pl" means "Perl Library".  It's meant to be used with "do" or
"require" within another script, not as something typed by a
user. Perl *programs* did not have that on the end until Windows Perl
came along, needing the extension to know that it's really a Perl
program.  Stupid Windows.

If the scripts are end-user scripts, put them in /sw/bin.  If they
aren't, put them in /sw/lib/$PACKAGENAME, and be sure to invoke them
in a way that /sw works if replaced by something else.
</quote>

If I am not mistaken, these are end-user scripts, so I probably will
remove the .pl extension for the fink package, because Mac OS X is
UNIX, and put a warning in the package description . I post it also
here to see what the bioperl folks think of this - maybe there is
another solution I overlooked?

thanks,

- Koen.