[Bioperl-l] Annotation of features

Hilmar Lapp hlapp@gnf.org
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 12:36:48 -0700

Currently the only annotation you can stick on SeqFeatureIs is
tag/value pairs. This is orthogonal to SeqIs.

I just realized that SeqFeature::Generic does have annotation(). I
vote for propagating this method to the interface level.

SeqFeatureI's tag/value annotation should be transparently the same
as for SeqI. This means tag/value pairs should be annotated as
Bio::Annotation::SimpleValue instances added to the
AnnotationCollection.

This may, however, create significant overhead when SeqFeatureIs are
instantiated (every tag/value pair amounts to an object).
Thoughts/comments?

The problem could possibly be alleviated by writing an adaptor that
adapts SeqFeatureI to AnnotationCollectionI, and annotation() would
return an instance of that adaptor. In that case the implementation
could make sure that you only incur the overhead once you actually
request those values.

I'd be glad to hear anyone's thoughts on this.

	-hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org