[Bioperl-l] ...analysis interfaces

Martin Senger senger@ebi.ac.uk
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 09:59:23 +0100 (BST)

> Incidently, if those module names look really long and scary to you - I
> hope that the work that Martin is doing to build a general AnalysisFactory
> object will allow us to do (names subject to change of course)
>
> my $factory = new Bio::Tools::Run::AnalysisFactory(-type => 'local');
>
> my $protml = $factory->program('protml'); # or some other coding
>
> $protml->parameter( .. );
> my ($rc,$results) = $protml->run();
>
> AND substitute 'local' for 'ebi.ac.uk:novella', or 'pasteur.fr:pise' (or
> something more GRID-like) to run these analysis in their compute queues.
> Hence the need for fairly standard and simple interfaces to the
> applications and hiding of all the details in a result object IMHO.

   For those impatient, you can look at the interfaces I am proposing for
the AnalysisFactory and for the Analysis itself at
http://industry.ebi.ac.uk/soaplab/Perl_Client.html. But keep in mind that
the documentation still uses wrong namespace (it will be changed to
Bio::Tools::Run::AnalysisFactory etc.).
   The interfaces are implemented now in order to access soap-based emboss
server, but the idea is to use the same interfaces to access locally
installed emboss, as well. Then it will be possible to do what Jason
suggested above: -type => 'local', or -type => 'soap' etc. I will be
working with Heikii to fit his emboss modules into this schema (if I can
convince him :-)), and I hope that the same will be possible for 'Pise'.
   Martin

--
Martin Senger

EMBL Outstation - Hinxton                Senger@EBI.ac.uk
European Bioinformatics Institute        Phone: (+44) 1223 494636
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus             (Switchboard:     494444)
Hinxton                                  Fax  : (+44) 1223 494468
Cambridge CB10 1SD
United Kingdom                           http://industry.ebi.ac.uk/~senger