[Bioperl-l] GenBankParser comparison to bioperl parser

Jason Stajich jason@cgt.mc.duke.edu
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 21:15:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Ian Korf wrote:

> I'll de-lurk for this.
>
> I, for one, think that a bio-util-perl project would be a good
> idea. Not everyone wants or needs the whole of bioperl.
> Sometimes, a small utility outside the framework is useful.
> Analogously, I use a full-featured text editor that counts
> letters, words, paragraphs etc, but I still find myself using wc
> from time to time.

This seems like a fine idea by me.  Once we're sure servers are back
online I can create the necessary CVS repository.  I'd like to spread it
to a separate repository mainly for the sake of keeping permissions
somewhat protected in the bioperl core code.  This way we can fairly
liberal about who we might give contrib access to while restricting
bioperl core code a little more.  This is of course only to aid the
ever-present battle to clean up code and keep code/docs/etc consistent.

> I think that if something is going to be part of bioperl, it
> ought to have the same consistent interface. But I like what
> John has done, both at the interface and implementation level.
> Is it possible to leave John's parser the way it is and offer a
> bioperl interface to it?

I have no problem with this - I think it might take some work to figure
out how we might do this efficiently and still hiding things under the
guise of the same Bio::SeqI interface, but it seems possible.  I would
certainly support someone working on this.

John don't think all our defending of the way things are now means we are
uncomfortable chucking some of the current code for a better
implementation.  Things have just built up in a way that makes sense for
the data model we've been building for the systems that interact on top of
this code so we're loathe to change the interfaces very much or introduce
changes that break things.  But we're not opposed to making things faster!

Later this week or this weekend we'll get the repository setup and look
into getting people access.  I'd be excited to see Boulder in there as
well as any other assorted projects which people might want to poke with
and improve.

-jason