[Bioperl-l] PrimarySeqI and IdentifiableI

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 08:31:56 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Hilmar Lapp wrote:

> I apologize for my ignorance if this has all been thrashed out and I
> just forgot.
>
> Right now PrimarySeqI is-a IdentifiableI, which means every
> Bio::PrimarySeqI compliant object is, in fact must be,
> Bio::IdentifiableI compliant at the same time.
>
> Bio::Seq as an example theoretically is but practically is not
> because it doesn't implement a number of methods from IdentifiableI.
>
> There are at least 4 methods to implement.
>
> This prompted me to wonder whether we should really mandate that
> every implementor of PrimarySeqI needs to implement IdentifiableI at
> the same time. Alternatively, they go separate, and a particular
> implementation can choose whether it implements IdentifiableI too or
> not. Analogous for DescribableI.
>
> I'm actually leaning towards separating them. Someone may want to
> have a very bare-bones sequence object that isn't even Identifiable
> nor Describable. This may not be LSID compatible though (anyone got
> thoughts on that?).
>
> Please voice your opinion if you want to weigh in. Core people?
>
> I'll have to fix Bio::Seq anyway (I guess there's little doubt it
> should be Identifiable), but if we decide to separate IdentifiableI
> (and DescribableI) from PrimarySeqI, I'll fix that right away, too.

It is a good question - I would say that they should implement the methods
but could easily pass back "" strings. What is the other solution - A
composition solution? Then clients have to test whether

$seq->identifier() is undef?