[Bioperl-l] Trouble with Bio::DB::Fasta and large files

Gudmundur A. Thorisson mummi@cshl.org
Wed, 06 Nov 2002 09:48:31 +0000

  I would like to add to this discussion by saying that any reasonably
recent Linux kernel (if Linux is the 2Gb-deficient platform in this
case), starting with 2.4 I think, can handle >2Gb files, up to some 4Tb
or whatever the next level is. I have not had any problems like this
with the kernel itself since RedHat 7 or so.

The problem in our case, as Lincoln describes, was solved just by
recompiling Perl. But in a previous setting where I needed to do a
similar thing (2.2 series kernel, recompiled for large file support),
just a gzip-on-the-fly and piping into a reformatting script, so Perl
never saw a >2Gb file. In that case, I needed to do the same thing as
Allen just mentioned, i.e recompile the (Bash) shall and some file
utilities and related GNU-stuff. That took care of that problem.

Mummi, CSHL