[Bioperl-l] HELP!!! ALIGN TWO SIMPLE DNA SEQ. USING BIOPERL

Catherine Letondal letondal@pasteur.fr
Wed, 08 May 2002 09:10:54 +0200

Jason Stajich wrote:
> This has been covered on the list and is in the FAQ I believe.
> pSW is for protein Smith-Waterman alignments only.
>
> We don't support DNA alignments directly but you can use the EMBOSS
> program 'water' to generate a the best local alignment with smith-waterman
> or 'needle' to generale a Needleman-Wunsch global alignment.  There is an
> interface to EMBOSS programs called Bio::Factory::EMBOSS.  There is an
> example of how to use it in the FAQ.  NB this is only for unix installs.
>
> -jason

If you do not have Unix nor a local EMBOSS installation, you can use
PiseBioperl. The following script run a needle on a Web server, and feed
the result to the Bio::AlignIO and Bio::SimpleAlign bioperl packages.

http://www-alt.pasteur.fr/~letondal/Pise/PiseBioperl/Examples/needle.pl

You don't need to install Pise for this purpose, just the perl modules
(see http://www-alt.pasteur.fr/~letondal/Pise/#pisebioperl).