[Bioperl-l] new cvs module bioperl-runnable

Heikki Lehvaslaiho heikki@ebi.ac.uk
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 13:52:44 +0100

Catherine Letondal wrote:
> Heikki Lehvaslaiho wrote:
>
>>Separating the modules to an other cvs module might help manging the large
>>number of modules
>

> yes, definitely
>

>>but it does not help the main problem: how to oganize the
>>wrappers and make sure that users are not confused by modules when binaries
>>are not available.
>

> Since they are run on a remote server, they don't have to be available locally?
> I agree that whether the API is for local or remote execution
> should be more explicit in the bioperl hierarchy.
> Maybe Bio::Tools::Run::Local and Bio::Tools::Run::Remote distinction could be
> useful? Or, on the contrary should it be hidden to the user of bioperl?

The way I've been thinking it to be is that a wrapper has a default location
   but when possible user coud change that. This has not been an issue so
far but but I did wrote method Bio::Factory::EMBOSS::location() which can
get two values 'local' and 'novella'. This method should ideally be in
Bio::Factory::FactoryI and instantieated by all factories. NAme of the
methods is , as always, open to discussion.

>>How about using the Registry to centrally manage the
>>names of the binaries? We have not really started using Registry even for
>>databases!
>>

> A registry would tell where to find the program, I guess?
> But again, you don't have to take care of this in using a client. It's the
> server's responsibility. In the perl code you just have to do:
> 	 my $program = $factory->program('genscan');
> What is currently done (for now!) in Pise factory, is to give a default
> location for the server of a program.

The way  you've set up Pise is fine for the time being. I just trying to
come up with something general for managing local setup of programs that
would make it easier to configure large number of binary wrappers.

	-heikki