[Bioperl-l] bioperl on windows

Jason Stajich jason@cgt.mc.duke.edu
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 08:18:46 -0500 (EST)

Entirely dependent on how you write your perl.  But yes you should expect
full compatibility if you write vanilla perl code or are careful about the
components that use system resources.

Places to watch out -

Files (use File::Spec->catfile to construct file paths not '/')
External programs ( can't be expected to work unless programs are
                    identical on both platforms, ala grep).
Indexes - Berkeley DB (Bio::Index:: modules) has some trouble if the
          latest DB_File.pm module is not installed on the Windows
          machine.