[Bioperl-l] ORF FInder

Brian Osborne b_i_osborne@hotmail.com
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 16:16:14 -0500

Lynn,

Jason is also saying that you can use EMBOSS programs from within Bioperl.
Here's an example using EMBOSS's getorf program :

use Bio::SeqIO;
use Bio::Factory::EMBOSS;

$factory = new Bio::Factory::EMBOSS;
$app = $factory->program("getorf");
%input = ( -sequence => "input.fasta", -minsize => 22, -outseq =>
"orfs.fasta" );
$app->run(\%input);
$seqio = Bio::SeqIO->new(-file => "orfs.fasta");
$seqobj = $seqio->next;

Or something....

True, it's not strictly Bioperl-ish but you have tremendous amount of
functionality in the EMBOSS suite, and this makes it all available easily.
My understanding is that the EMBOSS modules will return Bioperl objects
someday, rather than just create files for you as in the example above. To
get the positions of the ORFs you're going to have parse the
header/description line yourself, it's provided by the Seq object's desc()
method.

I'll add this to the new FAQ, something about functionality not found in
Bioperl might be found in EMBOSS, which is accessible through Bioperl.

Brian O.