[Bioperl-l] translate() again

Hilmar Lapp hilmarl@yahoo.com
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 23:48:06 -0700

Ewan Birney wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, Heikki Lehvaslaiho wrote:
>
> > I already posted to Ensembl list saying that these changes will not be
> > present in 0.7 series of bioperl releases.
> >
> > On second thought, I could not really find any good reason for that.
> > The interface has not changed (it actually has but into more
> > permissive).
> >
> > I suggest we put these changes into 0.7.2 next week together with
> > MANIFEST and FTHelper changes.
> >

> I don't think this is the right approach. There maybe things which this
> implementation changes, and this is the stable branch.
>
> translate has never come up in the ensembl profiling as a problem routine.
>
> Happy to be overruled if jason/hilmar go with you on this heikki.

Actually, if there is no strong need, which Ewan's comment
somewhat implies, then I'd vote against touching this in 0.7.x. It
doesn't fix a bug (right?), and we'll have 0.9 very soon.

BTW on a separate note, who's going to lead the release of that?
Original plan was to place the development release very soon after
0.7.1. It definitely should not take a lot of effort, because
otherwise there's no point. These kind of releases should come at
least say every 3-4 weeks (depending on development activity). The
important things to do are in my view (a) make sure the tests go
fine, and (b) solicit cross-platform tests (and try to fix
problems if reasonably possible). No bug hunting or fixing (other
than those exposed by the test scripts).

	Hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                              email: hilmarl@yahoo.com
GNF, San Diego, Ca. 92122                phone: +1 858 812 1757