[Bioperl-l] refactoring RootI

Hilmar Lapp hlapp@gmx.net
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 11:02:47 -0800

Ewan Birney wrote:

> I have finished a very serious refactoring of RootI. This detaches
> RootI from the other Root:: objects completely. verbose I think it handled
> nicer. I would venture to say that the code is more readable.
>
> I have changed the formatting somewhat of the stack trace in the
> throw/warn statements. Your milage may vary here...
>
> Jason, Hilmar - check it out and tell me what you think.
>
> I am now a little exhausted although the final product I think is vastly
> improved...

Well, that was a radical surgery :) Even though SteveC won't be
excited about it, it looks we now have a relatively clear and
straight code base there. It also seems that Err.pm is now
superfluous, so we may want to deprecate it.

We should also build a test for $obj->throw(), that it really
prints a meaningful stack trace. In addition, there should be a
test demonstrating that $obj->verbose(2) really turns warn() into
throw().

	Hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                                email: hlapp@gmx.net
GNF, San Diego, Ca. 92122                  phone: +1 858 812 1757