[Bioperl-l] New code

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Fri, 28 Dec 2001 12:30:12 +0000 (GMT)

Many thanks Steve.

Steve has sent a rather more detailed message to me and Jason. We have
some unpicking to do here as we now have about 4 different "parsing BLAST"
based on three frameworks. Thankfully this is not as bad as it sounds as
both Jason and Steve want to move things together into this event based
parsing system (SearchIO) keepiing all the goodies from previous systems
(eg, Bio::Tools::Blast).

I am feverently hoping that Jason can take point in smoothing all this
over and figuring out how and where to prune out modules. Jason - are you
up for this (...please say yes...)

In addition the Bio::DB::GFF stuff, which is basically the bioperl DAS
framework from Lincoln Stein has also had some serious additions.

I think the right thing to do here is wait for Jason's call on the Search
modules and the first round of pruning and then go for a 0.9.3 developer
release in earlish Jan (around the 8th say) assumming everything is
looking good.

At this point I don't want to hear of any other large additions/changes to
the modules - we are officially in cleaning up/sdmoothing mode for the
next month. Realistically we are not going to be releasing 1.0 in late Jan
- it is going to be late Feb or March, but we need to concentrate on
details not big things from here on in...

I'd also like the documentation effort ideal to start around 0.9.3 (Peter
- are you ready for this - does anyone else want to help here?) with
someone ideally doing an audit about where we need update/improve etc
documentation. 1.0 is going to need to have good documentation from the
start not lagging in a 1.1 release or whatever as I suspect we'll have a
whole set of new people poking it when we release 1.0

For the newbies - I will be writting a Bio::Perl module which will give
function orientated access to basic bioperl objects to ease the learning
curve.

But it is looking like a very impressive 1.0 release when it comes!

ewan

<birney@ebi.ac.uk>.