[Bioperl-l] "SeqIO-like" interface for alignment objects

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 08:09:03 +0100 (GMT)

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Peter Schattner wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Last month I made a proposal
> (http://bioperl.org/pipermail/bioperl-l/2000-August/001224.html) for a
> perl interface to a good multiple sequence alignment program (eg
> clustalw).  In the proposed module, the "alignment-factory object"
> would return a reference to a new alignment in the form of a
> SimpleAlign object.

> - the maintainer of the SimpleAlign module), that the SimpleAlign
> module needed to be updated. Specifically, he recommended that a more
> modular form of IO for alignments (in the spirit of the SeqIO package)
> would be highly desirable and that any new module using multiple
> alignments should be based on such an architecture.
>
> So before embarking on my "multiple alignment wrapper module", I am
> proposing to write an "AlignIO.pm" module which would strip out the IO
> capabilities of SimpleAlign.pm and convert them to a more "SeqIO-like"
> interface.
>
> I have attached a brief outline describing the capabilities and usage of
> the proposed module.
>
> I would appreciate any feedback re the usefulness, structure, usage,
> interaction with other
> modules, etc. of this proposed object.
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter Schattner

This looks *great*. (I hope you have cvs access...).

print out SeqIO.pm to see how that works, but otherwise it should be
reasonably straight forward to get this to work.

This will make SimpleAlign a far smaller module (removing the format
stuff) and encourage us to look at merging simplealign/univalign or
probably rewriting both to give us a better system...