Bioperl: Project volunteer: Sequence/PCR primers (Tm, primer design, etc.)

Ewan Birney birney@sanger.ac.uk
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 09:46:31 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000 shivakd@slip.net wrote:

> I'm a fledgling perl programmer / biologist looking for an interesting,
> do-able project to contribute to Bioperl.  I am interested in working on
> the "lightweight" primer design analysis (as stated on
> http://bio.perl.org/Projects/Sequence/: "Desirable lightweight analyses not
> yet written-- Sequence/PCR primers (Tm, primer design, etc.)").  Due to the
> recent revamping proposal of the Bio::Seq module, I'm wondering if this is
> a good choice.  Would writing a primer design toolset as a
> Bio::Tools::Primers module would be the best choice?

That would be great. If you work using the current Bio::Seq object then
it will work pretty much out of the box with the new one, maybe only with
a small number of changes.

> Comments, suggestions, corrections, code, and encouragement is welcome.

Consider yourself encouraged(!) I would post a rough specification of what
you suggest to the bioperl-guts list (for example, write out the script
which would use you Bio::Tools::Primer module) so that other people can
comment on it - you never know, you might miss something - and then go
for it.

I would work off the latest head of the bioperl repository, available
by anonymous cvs. Go to

http://cvs.bioperl.org

to see how to get this.