[Bioperl-l] tempfile creation and Bio::Tools::Run

Murad Nayal murad@godel.bioc.columbia.edu
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 11:15:27 +0100

Jason Stajich wrote:

> will do.  I am also adding tempfile and tempdir methods to RootI.  I will
> fix ClustalW and TCoffee to use tempfile properly and then move these
> modules to Bio::Tools::Run::Alignment

My feeling is that tempfile and tempdir would be better put in a
separate package. They are utilities that are only used by classes that
need temp file creation and not common behavior for all bioperl objects.
in my own perl library I have a FileTools package where I put all such
methods in (including methods to extract directory names, file
extensions and so on as well as methods to find executables etc. etc.).
encapsulating this behavior in a package allows me to do things like
clean up the temp files automatically when the program terminates. I
will be happy to contribute that to bioperl if there is interest. It is
not tested on NT/MAC though and will probably need some modification for
that.