Bioperl: XML/BioPerl - design proposal

David J. States states@ibc.wustl.edu" <states@gpc.ibc.wustl.edu
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 11:23:04 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From:	Wayne Parrott [SMTP:wayne@workingobjects.com]
...One of the recent post in this thread caught my attention. It
was regarding a plan to transform application output into XML, such as
Blast. I agree this is the way to go. But before "just going and doing
it" allow me to propose a design model for consideration....

The discussion of frameworks and design patterns is interesting but under
emphasizes a critical point, which is the need to develop and maintain
standards.  We have a reasonable proposal for sequence XML definition,
BIOML, as well has a highly developed set of ASN.1 definitions developed
that NCBI and widely used flatfile definitions for GenBank and
EMBL/Swissprot.  The NCBI definitions include sequence alignment as well a
sequence definitions.  Finally, bioperl itself has a well developed set of
sequence and alignment structures.  To be useful to the community, a new
set of JAVA tools must support the existing data standards or least provide
a straightforward way of mapping from existing standards to the standards
used by the tools.  In all the frameworks discussion, I did not see much
mention of this.

David States