Bioperl: Start of alignment debate...

Steve Chervitz sac@neomorphic.com (Steve A. Chervitz)
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 12:19:36 -0800 (PST)

Ewan,

Regarding this requirement:

4. The alignment should be able to be changed/manipulated

  -- Removal/Addition of sequences
  -- Truncated at the N or C terminii
  -- The alignment internally changed

Not all alignments need to be editable. Removing editability and using
factories to create new alignments would simplify the alignment object
itself. Having a class of immutable alignments would also ensure that
a given alignment hasn't been mangled, when this is important.

Steve Chervitz
sac@neomorphic.com