Bioperl: RFI response, appendix (fwd)

Georg Fuellen fuellen@dali.Mathematik.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 22:31:28 +0000 (GMT)

Thanks SteveC for getting the "Bioperl Object and Framework Requirements"
together !!

Steve wrote,

8. Highly fault-tolerant.
...       It is preferrable to throw fatal exceptions when data
          inconsistencies or other serious problems are encountered,
          rather than generating warnings that cannot be
          programmatically handled, or relying on a polling mechanism,
          or relying on the software's inherent ability to accomodate
          the discrepency.
<<<<<<<<
As before, I'd suggest to prefer warnings to fatal exceptions.
Some of my runs take days (90 sequences, each 3000 nucleotides each,
are subjected to thousands of alignment calculations), and I don't wanna
lose the end result b/c of some stupid exception. Fatal exceptions are OK
for small scripts, but not for larger applications, as long as there
is a reasonable way to handle them: garbage in, garbage out is OK for
me as long as warnings are issued.

10. Ability to use individual components stand-alone or within a framework.
...       This issue has not been adequately addressed with the Bioperl
          framework. At present, different versions (stand-alone or
          integrated) of selected components are generated by hand as
          needed. This is creates the problem of synchronizing the
          different versions as updates are released. This is a
          difficult problem and solutions are being considered.
<<<<<<<<
Which solution(s) do you envision ?

11. Web-awareness.
...       Objects should be able to access information available via
          the web and should be able to present information to users
          via a web browser interface. Not every object needs to be
          web-savvy. For objects that do require a web interface, one
          should consider advantages and disadvantages of integrating
          or segregating the data processing code from the web
          interface code.
<<<<<<<<
My research code produces HTML directly; maybe I would consider BSML
(Bioinformatic Sequence Markup Language)
http://www.topogen.com/bsml/ if I had to start again.

I like the suggested template POD for object methods at
http://www-genome.stanford.edu/perlOOP/bioperl/method_template_pod.txt

best wishes,
  georg
fuellen@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de
Univ. Bielefeld, Research Group in Practical Comp. Science
http://www.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de/bcd/welcome.html

SteveC wrote,