Bioperl: Parameter tag style

Steve A. Chervitz sac@genome.stanford.edu
Thu, 8 Jan 1998 15:40:39 -0800 (PST)

A correction:

> I didn't modify _rearrange() at all. The statements below are equivalent:
>  $aln = new Bio::Tools::UnivAln(SEQS =>\@seqs);
>  $aln = new Bio::Tools::UnivAln(-seqs =>\@seqs);

This is not true. I did in fact change one line:

ORIGINAL:
return @param unless (defined($param[0]) && $param[0]=~/^-/);

MY VERSION:
return @param unless (defined($param[0]) && $param[0]=~/^-|^[A-Z]$/);

So the two statements above are equivalent with my version only.

A potential problem with my version occurs when _rearrange() is
called with a set of arguments which are not to be treated as named
parameters, yet the first arg is all cap:
_rearrange('FOOVAL', 'barval') vs. _rearrange( FOO => 'fooval').
But in practice this has not been a problem (famous last words:).

Perhaps it would be best to require all named parameters to begin with
a hyphen, all caps or not.

SteveC

Side Note (and new issue!):

All of my modules inherit rearrange() from my Obj::Object.pm
http://genome-www.stanford.edu/perlOOP/bioperl/lib/Obj/Object.pm

Note also that originally I removed the underscore from _rearrange()
since I considered this a protected method, not private. Traditionally in
perl, leading underscores are reserved for private methods. I haven't
discovered a perl convention for methods that are to be considered
protected. It may be best to also name these with leading underscores
since protected methods are not part of a class's public interface.

Consistent naming of private and protected methods would also facilitate
the operation of a module by itself or within an inheritance hierarchy,
as I am using PreSeq and UnivAln. Therefore, in the future I plan to use
leading underscores for protected as well as private methods (unless I
learn of a better perl convention or mechanism).