Tcl/Tk, error handling, Perl Conference

Steve A. Chervitz sac@genome.stanford.edu
Thu, 18 Sep 1997 15:13:07 -0700 (PDT)

Hi guys,

Glad to see Bioperl spring back to life! I think we've all been working,
just quietly.

Georg writes:

> > > There's currently a thread at comp.lang.perl.modules,
> > > ``To die() or Not to die()''. It's _very_ relevant for the
> > > discussion we've had; you can look it up via www.dejanews.com.
> >
> > Tom Christiansen seemed to be in favor of exceptions w/ die(), juding from
> > his talk.
> >
> > I wasn't able to find this on www.dejanews.com -- how should I locate it?
>
> SteveC found them -- I think you can just type in
> ``To die() or Not to die()'' as a search string.

Go to the dejanews "computers" section:

http://web3.dejanews.com/categories/comp.shtml

and enter this search string: ~s die AND perl
(~s forces "die" to occur in the subject line)

There is another interesting thread in May regarding the Throwable.pm
module (which I have not used yet). You can get the posts (which include
a rather snide gem from TomC) from the dejanews "Power Search" page:

http://web3.dejanews.com/home_ps.shtml

search the "Old" database for: ~s Throwable.pm

Dejanews is nice resource, eh?

> > My presentation went ok; I wasn't entirely happy with my performance, but
> > I didn't make any really stupid mistakes.  I was surprised by the number
> > of very positive comments I got from attendees, especially press.  My
> > impression is that they thought the talk was petty interesting despite not
> > really understanding it.
>
> Did any press articles result out of this ?

As of yet, no, (unless SteveB has put a draft together I don't know about).
I'm still interested in contributing, but we need a concrete gameplan.
Perhaps when SteveB is back we can merge all of the ideas from the OiB,
the Perl conference, and other recent Bioperl exposures.

SteveC